We are seeking a passionate human-computer interaction (HCI) designer and researcher with demonstrated leadership in the research, design and guidance of the user experience of software projects and products. You will be joining teams of creative engineers and designers to create novel solutions to incredibly tough analytical problems. The scope extends across the lifecycle from conceptualization to evaluation to full production through close collaboration with users, management and development teams.
You will bring a strong focus on the user, their tasks, and new ways to solve them with data-driven workflows, visualization and analytics. You will play a key role in re-framing problems into new technical approaches, collaborating with some of the most interesting subject-matter experts in their domains, their management, engineers, designers, data scientists and world-class researchers. You are likely coming from a background in either academia or industry where you have been responsible for planning, designing, and coordinating new solutions.
- Brainstorming meetings and creating workshops with end users and stakeholders
- Requirements and detailed task analysis
- Participate in and/or lead concept, design and workflow reviews with users
- Rapidly understand new and challenging problem domains and apply critical thinking to find solutions
- Conceptualize and design visual expressions of information and interactions to solve critical customer information requirements
- Produce mockups, detailed wireframes and walkthroughs using appropriate tools for the intended need and audience
- Produce design documentation and best practices
- Work side-by-side with software engineers through the development of prototype, pilot and product software to define interactions and revise designs in response to user feedback or technical limitations that arise in the development process
- Design and execute observational and quantitative evaluations of the software and revise designs accordingly
- Communicate how to best leverage capabilities of new analytical tools (use the tools, conceive and conduct software demos and training)
- Conceive, design and produce communication materials (e.g. posters and handouts); with potential creation of research papers for peer-review
Desired Skills & Experience
- Background in Interaction Design or Human-Computer Interaction (MSc or PhD preferred)
- Understanding of interaction design for a variety of form factors, and for subject matter experts
- Familiarity with concepts of data visualization, user interface design and workflow design
- Experience with human-centered computing, including but not limited to visualization, visual analytics, human-computer interaction (HCI), and graphics
- Strong analytical reasoning skills. Experience with advanced analytical capabilities, including but not limited to computational linguistics, machine learning and adaptive analytics is an advantage
- Knowledge of UX design tools and office productivity tools (e.g. Figma, Illustrator, Office).
- Published peer-reviewed authorship is an advantage
- Applicants should provide examples of their work, such as links to an online portfolio and/or peer-review research
Competencies & Attributes
- Demonstrates strong aptitude for the craft of UX design
- Public speaking with excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to communicate effectively with internal departments, senior and executive management
- Effective at goal-directed, unsupervised collaboration with end users
- Independent and self-motivated with an aptitude for problem solving
- Strong preference is given to working from one of our existing office locations. Remote work options will be considered
- Travel to client sites will be required, on an as needed basis
To work at Uncharted, you must be able to meet Security Clearance requirements and a Police Background Check.